Andalusia has attracted over the last decades artists, royals and dignitaries from around the world. You’ll find frequent sightings of the rich and famous who were born here, live here or holiday here throughout the year.
From the early days when Audrey Hepburn and Cary Grant could be spotted chatting over breakfast in Marbella to the current batch of publicity-hungry reality TV celebs routinely spotted falling out of clubs, the trend shows no sign of abating.
|Piers Morgan tours Marbella aboard a luxury boat|
If you’re in the right place at the right time, there is a very good chance you will bump into a very familiar face J
1. CELEBRITIES THAT WILL BE on costa del sol THIS SUMMer
- Tom Jones will perform at Starlite Festival Marbella on 1st of August.
- Paris Hilton, has booked dinner at the Babilonia Restaurant on the 4th of August.
- Craig David will join a party on 5th of August in one of Puerto Banus nightclubs - Aqwa Mist
- Antonio Banderas is one of the hosts of the Starlite Gala, the most philantrophic gala of Spain on 6th of August.
- Bob Sinclar, will be playing at the night club Olivia Valere on August 7th.
- Stefan Kendal Gord, the crazy fun RedFoo will be shuffling around the Cavalli Club in August.
- The Corrs has chosen Starlite as the venue to give one of the concerts of their international tour on August 16th.
- Simply Red will be performing at the Sohail Castle in Fuengirols on 18th of August
- Kylie Jenner Kardashian boyfriend TYGA, Micheal Ray Stevenson will be staying at the Sisu Boutique Hotel and performing at Cavalli on August 18th.
- Ricky Martin is on tour and will be performing at Auditorio Municipal Cortijo de Torres in Malaga on 8th of September
2. CELEBRITIES who have a house in costa del sol
- Antonio Banderas, who of course everyone loves and knows of, the Spanish actor best known for playing "El Zorro". He was born in Marbella and he visits several times every year. After divorce from actress Melanie Griffith he bought an apartment in Malaga. Antonio is truly connected with Andalucia. You will see him at places like La Cabana and Olivia Valere in Marbella. And he is a prominent citizen for the entire Easter week (Semana Santa) and several times during the summer period for Starlite.
- Melanie Griffith is another well known actress who visits Marbella on a yearly basis. She was married to Banderas, but separated in 2014 after 18 years of marriage. Their daughter, Stella del Carmen, was born in Marbella in 1996. Melanie returns for events and still supports ex-husband's foundations based in Marbella.
- Sean Connery, the Scottish James Bond star, was long term resident of Marbella. Rumour has it that the reason he sold his villa is because he didn't want his neighbours watching him in his underpants! There were also accusations of fraud and property issues that will likely remain a mystery. But what we do know is that he still comes to visit and you'll most likely find him on his favourite Golf courses.
- Simon Cowell, best known as reality television judge, film and record producer has a beautiful big home in Sierra Blanca. He's been known to bring his X-factor candidates just like he did with One Direction and other now-famous artists.
- Dani Garcia, the Michelin Star Chef, was born in Marbella and opened his first restaurant in 1998 in Ronda. There he achieved his Michelin Star enabling him to then open Calima (2005) earning him his second Michelin Star in 2011. He is the proud owner of Dani Garcia Catering and the BIBO burger created alongside McDonald's and the BIBO restaurant in the Puente Romano Hotel.
- Rod Stewart is said to have a palatial pad at La Zagaleta, a far cry from his early career, when he was kicked out of Spain for vagrancy.
- Spanish singer Julio Iglesias has long owned a property in Ojen. Straddling three town boundaries, the palace has spectacular views. The 68-year-old singer settled down there along with his wife, Dutch model Miranda Rijnsburger.
- King of Saudi Arabia – Salman Bin Abdelaziz – is one of the richest men in the world, his family owns a huge palace in Marbella. The Saudi royal family’s connection with Marbella dates back more than 40 years, when Prince Fahd, decided to vacation there, later building a number of luxury properties.
- Famous singer Prince Rogers Nelson, bought Villa in El Paraiso in the 90’ (that is on the market today) and painted purple and put his symbol on the facade. He sadly passed away in April 2016 and is best known for his Academy Award in the film Purple Rain.
- Eva Longoria, best known as actress from Desperate Housewives, is also a philanthropist and represents a foundation in Marbella called the Global Gift Gala. Each summer an event is held that includes a long list of A-list celebrities, from Top Model Alessandra Ambroosio to Footballer Cristiano Ronaldo.
- Huge Grant and girlfriend Anna Eberstein along with two young children were seen in the old town of Marbella, Serafina Restaurant as well as enjoying the beach sunshine near to the Puente Romano Hotel where they stayed at the beginning of June.
- Mel Gibson came to discover the villages and traditional Spain in Ronda during the month of June.
- Seal was here to perform again on the 17th of July after such a beautiful set up last year and of course engaged and got very much involved with his fans.
- World number 1 tennis player Novak Djokovic came to see the Seal concert in Marbella in July this year.
- Starlite Festival Marbella attracts many big names, not only to perform but to support their friends and enjoy the show themselves. Santana, Ricky Martin, Jamiroquai, Lenny Kravitz, Julio Iglesias to mention a few.
- More recent visitors to Ronda have included US First Lady Michelle Obama, Bristish Prime Minister David Cameron and UK celebrity Jamie Oliver, who based an entire episode of his series Jamie Does Andalucia on the area.
- Princes William and Harry are known to enjoy playing polo tournaments in Sotogrande, while the likes of Mariah Carey, Antonio Banderas and the Duchess of York are regular visitors.